HIST 2020, September 1
5 Cs of Historical Thinking
- Change over time: Nothing stays the same.
- Context: Nothing happens in a vacuum.
- Complexity: Nothing is ever just one thing.
- Causality: Nothing ever happens just because.
- Contingency: Nothing is inevitable.
Compromise of 1877
- Democrats agree not to contest the election of Rutherford B. Hayes in return for the end of federal Reconstruction
Interactive map of the 1876 presidential election
Map of cotton production in 1860 laid over a map of how counties voted in the 2008 presidential election (source)
Map showing what percentage of each county’s population was enslaved in 1860 (source)
County-level results in the 1872 presidential election
County-level results in the 1876 presidential election